Curriculum Intent Statement
The Ferns Primary Academy is committed to delivering a broad and balanced curriculum that enriches experiences, deepens knowledge and develops a thirst for learning. It aims to develop a language-rich culture to prepare children for the next steps in their education, while inspiring them to succeed in today’s ever-changing world. Our values of curiosity, resilience, co-operation and reflection drive our curriculum, through a progression of knowledge. We believe in developing the whole child by building on prior learning and providing a range of experiences and skills, through the lens of a growth mindset, that will enable them to have high aspirations. Our curriculum is not just a list of subjects, rather a network of pathways tread by inquisitive minds, making well considered choices, towards their chosen destinations.
• Clear progression maps identify the pitch intended for each year group but also allow for adapting the curriculum to meet individual needs while enabling teachers to track progress.
• The curriculum is taught in two cycles to ensure complete coverage over two years.
• Planning is shared across two year groups to allow for a more collegiate approach as we are a small one-form entry school. This promotes better consistency of standards across the phases through support, moderation and professional dialogue.
• The Kite Academy Trust Assessment System is used to plan, teach and assess the core subjects, in line with all academies in the multi-academy Trust, enabling wider moderation of standards.
• The curriculum is delivered through a range of approaches and programmes to support high quality teaching and learning.
• The curriculum is enriched through a variety of experiences to engage children in their learning such as: practical activities, visiting speakers/workshops, off-site educational visits, community links, use of varied artefacts, and resources, enhancing the cultural capital of the academy.
• We use retrieval practice and cross curricular links to enhance long term memory to embed learning.
• Vocabulary is a focus throughout the academy and across all subjects.
• Seesaw is used for online learning and for communicating with parents.
Children will leave The Ferns with secure knowledge across the curriculum in line with national expectations and the ability to apply these in a range of contexts. They will have established good
learning behaviours that will enable them to meet life’s challenges with resilience and a solution-focused approach. They will also be confident to plan, consider and take the next steps in their education with a positive outlook for the future.
For further information about the curriculum at The Ferns Primary Academy, please contact Mrs Batalli via the academy office.